Skin Rashes and Irritation
The Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill in April of 2010 resulted in substantial amounts of oil and chemicals being released into the water and onto the shoreline. Clean-up workers who were involved in the effort to clean up this unprecedented mess were exposed to harmful oil and chemicals, and many have developed skin conditions as a result.
The Deepwater Horizon Medical Settlement provides for compensation to individuals who suffer from certain skin conditions and symptoms as a result of exposure to the oil and chemicals connected to the BP oil spill. The medical settlement provides for different compensation amounts, depending on whether your skin condition is acute or chronic. If you developed a skin condition after exposure to harmful chemicals or oil, you may be entitled to compensation.
Some of the skin conditions that are covered by the settlement include:
- Acute contact dermatitis – Skin rash resulting from contact with chemical irritant
- Atopic dermatitis – Itchy skin rash resulting from contact with chemical irritant
- Eczematous reaction – Similar to atopic dermatitis
- Folliculitis – Inflammation of the hair follicles due to chemical irritation
- Irritant contact dermatitis – Skin inflammation caused by contact with chemical irritant
- Urticaria – Hives
- Acne vulgaris – Simple acne
- Oil acne – A form of acne caused by oil clogging the pores
- Chronic contact dermatitis – A persistent or recurring rash at the site which came into direct contact with oil or chemicals. NOTE: The timeframe between exposure and manifestation of the rash must have begun or started to begin within 72 hours of exposure to the oil or chemicals.
- Chronic eczematous reaction – A persistent skin irritation that itches at the site which came into direct contact with oil or chemicals. NOTE: The timeframe between exposure and manifestation of the rash must have begun or started to begin within 72 hours of exposure to the oil or chemicals.
Two or more of the following symptoms must be associated with the skin condition(s):
- Inflammation or pain
- Dryness or flaking
- Scaly skin
- Welts; or
If you are one of the many individuals who has suffered from one of these painful skin conditions, you need the help of an experienced BP Oil Spill claims attorney.
Our attorneys have filed thousands of claims and can ensure that your claim is maximized and paid as quickly as possible. Contact our office for a free and confidential case evaluation.